Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Do you believe it, at this age?

I was talking with someone the other day about something we both had witnessed. At one point she said "I seen it", when should have been "I saw it"! Now when you are talking with children that are below the age of, say, 12, one expects misuse of the English language once in a while. But this was an adult I was talking with!! And another thing.. what is with using the work ax instead of ask? Are you saying you want to chop me up? Were you not taught how to pronounce certain words or their meaning? It is amazing how some people do not bother to speak correctly when these same people get offended when they are not understood! Communication, which is the key to any successful relationship, be it business or personal has to start with basic skills!! There is nothing that makes one sound more stupid, at least in this persons view!! There you go!!

4 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! Do you think this began when we started glorifying uneducated sports figures, rap singers and movie stars? The reason it's come to this , IMHO, is that parents have abdicated their responsibility in setting an example for their children. (They're too busy with their own persuits.) Until we place more importance on parenthood , Im afraid it will continue... ("Train up a child in the way he should go..." is not too complicated to understand!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU!!! I am hoping to get many people to start talking about this, whatever your opinion and know something has to be done!! I appreciate any and all comments!! Communication is the only way to change things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people were just not fortunate enough to be brought up with any sort of cultural requirements when communicating with family. I would have been put in a corner for that dear mistake. My mother's ruler was bigger than the nuns. Besides that, a lot of kids slept through English and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM TALKING ABOUT COMMON USES OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE!!! IF YOUR IN YOUR TEENS AND CAN'T SPEAK RIGHT, SHAME ON YOUR PARENTS AND TEACHERS. IF YOUR IN YOUR 50'S SHAME ON YOU!!

    ReplyDelete